Openstack Ansible Ceph Configuration
Openstack-Ansible doesn’t deploy ceph for you, if you want to do that there are excellent ceph roles from Sebastien Han. However openstack-ansible does have support for configuring openstack services as ceph clients. Specifically glance images, cinder volumes and nova ephemeral disks. This article is a reminder mostly for myself about the necessary variables needed to configure openstack-ansible for utilising ceph.
- Existing ceph cluster that is accessible from your deployment host (ansible will login via ssh key to retrieve ceph.conf and keyrings)
- Ceph users: You can use one for each openstack service or share one for all the services. Instructions for adding ceph users.
- Configure user_variables: /etc/openstack_deploy/user_variables.yml
# General Ceph Config ceph_apt_repo_url_region: "www" # or "eu" for Netherlands based mirror ceph_stable_release: hammer cephx: true ceph_mons: - 126.96.36.199 #add your ceph mon IPs here, my single vm test ceph cluster only has one mon. # Glance glance_default_store: rbd glance_ceph_client: cinder # I'm using the same ceph user for all services glance_rbd_store_pool: rbd glance_rbd_store_chunk_size: 8 # Nova nova_libvirt_images_rbd_pool: rbd # I'm also using the same pool, not a good idea in production. nova_ceph_client: cinder # Cinder, note additional config is required in user_config cinder_ceph_client: cinder
- Configure openstack_user_config: /etc/openstack_deploy/openstack_user_config. The default config has a single lvm backend, for ceph, remove that and replace it with an rbd backend:
storage_hosts: aio1: ip: 188.8.131.52 container_vars: cinder_backends: limit_container_types: cinder_volume rbd: volume_group: cinder-volumes volume_driver: cinder.volume.drivers.rbd.RBDDriver volume_backend_name: rbd rbd_pool: rbd rbd_ceph_conf: /etc/ceph/ceph.conf rbd_user: cinder
- Run playbooks (via run-playbooks.sh or openstack-ansible setup-everything.yml)
- Check the openstack logs, and verify that the relevant images are being created via “rbd ls” on a ceph node.